Accueil - Ethics (MBF-1)
Code interne : MBF-1
Programme de cours :
Responsable : Madame le professeur Nathalie COLUMELLI
The first decade of the 21st century has experienced many crises for the investment industry. This period has encompassed many instances of unethical behavior by business executives and investment professionals, through Ponzi schemes, insider trading, weak governance, diligence and fraud. Unethical behavior has been highlighted in fields such as investment ratings, financial product packaging and distribution and investment management firms. As markets function to an important extent on trust, each case has resulted in heavy financial losses and stained reputations and lost investors trust.
The CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct’s goal is to set the highest standards for education, integrity, and professional excellence for the ultimate benefit of society. Such standards are critical to maintaining and recovering public’s trust in financial markets and in the investment profession.
This course objective is to increase the students’ awareness of the importance of ethics.
They will learn, from their own experience, the recent scandals and their short and long term impacts:
- Why it matters to act ethically
- How and why both the very nature of finance added to common irrational human biases may impair one’s capacity to act ethically.
- The major rules and laws that have been enacted to protect consumers and shareholders
- How to increase the odds for sound ethical decision making
Through the analysis of the CFA Institute code of ethics and Standards of Practice Handbook as well as movies and short case studies, the students will:
- Have an overall knowledge of the CFA Institute code of ethics
- Identify the best standards of professionalism and integrity
- Identify unethical behaviors and take appropriate corrective actions
- Adopt and Use a framework for ethical decision-making
- Know approaches to embed ethics in corporate governance organization and strategic decisions